Golden Gate Philharmonic offers a robust music education program which includes orchestral experience with sectional training, concert performances, music theory classes, a Fall Retreat at Cazadero Music Camp, and an optional chamber music program.
GGP offers orchestral training with small group sectionals by instrument and three orchestra performances. Students learn a full repertoire of classical music which changes for each concert.
GGP consists of four performance ensembles:
- CADET ORCHESTRA – Minimal experience, teacher recommendation. No audition required.
- JUNIOR ORCHESTRA – Some previous experience; music reading and basic theory desirable.
- SENIOR ORCHESTRA – Ensemble and sight-reading experience are a must. Major and minor scales up to 4 sharps and 4 flats. Theory to the level of the GGP Theory Book, or its equivalent is required.
- CAMERATA – GGP’s top performing group; plays the most challenging music. Membership is limited to the finest players and most dedicated musicians.
- Qualified soloists perform with orchestra accompaniment—a rare opportunity for middle school and high school age musicians.
Theory Class, or its equivalent, is mandatory for all students and completion of the requirements is mandatory for promotion to Camerata level. GGP provides a comprehensive theory book with written exercises which must be completed. Ms. Murray offers Theory Classes on at her home on Saturdays & Sundays at 10:00 am – 12:00 pm at no additional cost.
Cazadero Music Camp Retreat
All students are strongly encouraged to attend the Fall Orchestra Retreat, held during the second weekend in October at Cazadero Music Camp. This activity kicks off the season, both musically and socially. Parents and siblings are also encouraged to attend. The retreat is free for all enrolled students; an additional fee applies for parents and siblings.
Optional Chamber Music Program
GGP is proud to offer an optional Chamber Music Program to expose our students to the vast and rewarding chamber music repertoire and give them the experience and benefit of playing in a smaller group.
GGP hosts four chamber music recitals each season, and provides other opportunities for the groups to perform.
Instrument rental and financial aid is available.